Saturday, May 17, 2014

Gratitude 4 : World Wide

A tribute to all people from different cultures around the world who have shared their time with me and chosen to be my friend.
=================================
World Wide

You look different from me
You are half a decade older
You are double my size.
Your skin is forty shades lighter,
Your culture shockingly liberal to me
Your life, in my opinion, a mess --
And yet when I first spoke to you
I thought you were friend material.

I am a rule-follower, a nerd.
To your protest-mongering rebel
I am orthodox, prejudiced,
Not to mention unbelievably tiny.
My English is strange,
Full of expressions you've never heard,
And my clothes make no sense to you--
But you thought we were similar.

I am an only child, you have siblings;
I am multilingual, you are dyslexic;
My Mom loves me, yours is dead;
I like fiction, you read essays;
I like chocolate... which you like as well.
And when we talk about everything
Or sometimes about stupid nothings
Only the chocolate matters.
=================================
The poem borrows bits from different online friends and acquaintances. Anyone see yourself in here?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Speak and you will be heard.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...